Tuesday 15 July 2014

Bookshelf Tour 2014 - part 2

So, here we are for the second instalment of my bookshelf tour. Plenty of great books for you today!

************


First up we've got my collection of young adult hardbacks, all of which I've had for years. I'm a terrible hoarder, but I recently had a ruthless purge of all the books from my childhood and teens, so these are the ones that made the cut. My absolute favourite from these has to be The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett (along with the other two in the series of course), as his writing is just amazing. Balanced on top of these, I also have a book on How to do just about everything and the fifth Harry Potter book in French, purchased from a market stall in France a couple of months ago.


Next, here are some more book for younger readers. Out of these, I would highly recommend What My Mother Doesn't Know by Sonya Sones, and all the Moomintroll books. Plus, of course, the Harry Potter books, though that goes without saying! (Yes, I do only own two of them... I'm building up to a full set!)


Here are some more adult books, though there are a couple mixed in there that would be suitable for younger readers too (Little Women for example). I loved The Help by Kathryn Stockett, and am really looking forward to reading Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell and Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding (no, I haven't read it yet! Shocking I know...).


Up next we have my beautiful complete collection of Jane Austen novels, given to me over a series of birthdays and Christmases by my grandfather, who loves giving books as presents. I've also got a couple of classics that are most definitely up there on my TBR list, and Greenery Street by Denis Mackail, a book that I absolutely loved.


This is another section of must-reads! The first two books (The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith and The Road by Cormac McCarthy) were my most recent purchases, and I'm definitely going to read them soon while I'm still so excited about them. I also must definitely read Dracula by Bram Stoker soon! It's been on my TBR list for so long!


This is another load of books that I'm super excited about. I can't recommend the Hitch-hiker's Guide series by Douglas Adams highly enough (that's the second book, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, that you see in the middle there), so that would definitely be my favourite from this section so far. I am also in the process of reading A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin, and am excited for John MacNab by John Buchan (having loved The 39 Steps).

So that's it for my main bookshelves! But the tour's not over... Here are some books (and other things) that are dotted around my other shelves.


Here is the section of giant fat books that don't fit anywhere else. You may notice that there's only one huge dictionary here (plus the Collins English one that you may have spotted on the wide shot in the previous post). Though I do own 6 huge language dictionaries, these are the only two currently on my shelves - they just take up so much space! I also have the complete Edward Lear and Shakespeare, plus the Chronicles of Narnia in Italian.


Okay, so these don't strictly belong in a bookshelf tour, but I thought I'd show them anyway! These are my CD and DVD shelves! I have so many! I definitely need to get rid of some of these...


And finally...

Here are a few books that I acquired in France on my year abroad, and didn't manage to find space for on my shelves. The bottom one was a present from my boss, who I worked for as a translation intern in Biarritz (south of France). It was her favourite book when she was studying German herself, and she's written a lovely little note in the front. We also decided to read Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand together, hence why I have a copy here. The Maupassant was an impulse buy on the recommendation of my French friend Julie, and A Passage to India by E.M. Forster is the book I'm currently reading (review coming soon!).

************

Et voilĂ ! That was a thorough and comprehensive tour of my bookshelves. I hope you enjoyed it! Feel free to do your own bookshelf tour and post the link in the comments. I'd love to have a nose around!

(If you missed it, you can find part 1 here!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...